Thursday, June 25, 2009

Big Brothers/Big Sisters and Skydiving….

Yes, I am volunteering for the Big Brother/Big Sister program.

Me.

Sporadic, crazy, control-freak that I am; I am volunteering to be mentor.

When the match coordinator called me to tell me that they found me a little, he told me a little be about her... she has had quite a past at such a young age. Her hobbies are talking on the phone and texting, her favorite food is hot wings, she’s an A and B student… and she is shy.

Sounds easy enough.

I met my little on Monday. She is an eleven year African-America girl, we’ll call her JJ.

Our first meeting was supervised by the match coordinator. We had to do some icebreakers and fill out an info sheet on each other. Maybe it is just the age, and the pressure of the first meeting with me. But the conversation went something like this…

Me: Are you as nervous as me?
JJ: No
Me: * nervous smile with a stupid giggle*
Me: So JJ, what do you like to do?
JJ: I don’t know
Me: Hhmm, well what do you do all day now that you are on summer break?
JJ: Nothing
Me: Do you have any hobbies?
JJ: No
Me: * nervous smile with a stupid giggle*

So maybe this will be a little tougher than I imagined! I know it will take time to develop our relationship… I just am trying to figure out what in the world to do with her!?

So at the end of our first meeting we decided I would pick her up on Sunday for us to hang out. I asked her what she wanted to do, guess what she said? Yep. I don’t know. Lol… too cute!

I sent her a text message on Tuesday (since she likes to text) saying…

“It was nice meeting u and ur Mom yesterday! Would u like 2 go 2 the movies when I pick u up on Sun.? If so, is there anything u want to see?”

Six hours later she responds with this…

“transformers”

I was literally laughing out loud.

This is going to be interesting.

I’m totally looking forward to it though. I have a feeling I am going to learn a lot from this kid!

On to Skydiving…

R, my gay boyfriend is going freaking skydiving for his birthday (which is coming up the first week of July). He has a big group of friends going. G is even going! Seriously, G is going it’s already confirmed! I kinda do want to do it, but I am TERRIFIED! I think it will be an awesome experience, especially to share with a group of great friends… but seriously? SERIOUSLY??

And of course it’s not free… it’s $139 for the jump and then $90 for the video/pictures of the jump.

So we are talking $229 to JUMP OUT OF A PLANE!

** I just spent $200 on shoes and a dress- and for the record the shoes nor the dress could possibly kill me, so I am definitely keeping them both!**

Ugh.

I. don’t. know.

I have until Tuesday to decide. Right now I don’t think I am going to do it.

What do you think? Should I jump out of a perfectly good plane with a stranger attached to my back??

We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Weight loss tracker...